The 2022 tax filing season is in full swing at the IRS. And although doing one’s taxes is a near-universally dreaded task, there is a glimmer of good news: It doesn’t have to be expensive.
Millions of taxpayers are eligible to file their taxes for free thanks to IRS Free File, a partnership the government launched with several online tax prep services in 2003. Depending on your income, you may qualify for guided tax preparation from one of eight name-brand companies.
However, you won’t find TurboTax or H&R Block among those options. TurboTax and H&R Block are no longer affiliated with the IRS Free File program.
People are also reading…
- Steven M. Sipple: With Athletic Department ‘on edge’ in July, Alberts’ hire critical, Cook says
- Two hospitalized after stabbing in Lincoln leads police to hanging man
- Steven M. Sipple: Critical period for Thompson; Alberts’ culture clues; and Fred’s vulnerability
- LPS school board names four finalists for superintendent
- Frost, Husker assistants conduct home visit with top remaining 2022 target
- Juvenile killed in rollover crash near Seward, sheriff’s office says
- Statute of limitations passed, attorneys tell the story of Pioneer Pete’s negotiated return in Lincoln
- Paperwork, finger-pointing and Twitter: How Gretna was stripped of the Class A football title
- 64-year-old woman dies after brake failure causes collision east of Lincoln
- As transfer portal frenzy nears lull, where do the Huskers still need ‘difference-makers?’
- Steven M. Sipple: If you’re Husker fan, you hope Applewhite grasps program’s rich RB history
- Lincoln man arrested after warrant turns up heroin, meth, police say
- Lincoln man killed in one-vehicle crash in Cass County
- Alberts on the radio: Many end zone bleacher seats to be widened at Memorial Stadium for 2022
- Gretna responds to NSAA ruling, claims Omaha Westside issued complaint
That said, both advertise free tax prep services on their websites, and there are a plethora of other tax software options for taxpayers who don’t want to pay to file a return. Here’s what you need to know.
Have you started filing your 2021 Taxes?
Select your state to begin the process of filing your taxes with TurboTax.
File Your 2021 Taxes Today!