The 2022 tax filing season is in full swing at the IRS. And although doing one’s taxes is a near-universally dreaded task, there is a glimmer of good news: It doesn’t have to be expensive.
Millions of taxpayers are eligible to file their taxes for free thanks to IRS Free File, a partnership the government launched with several online tax prep services in 2003. Depending on your income, you may qualify for guided tax preparation from one of eight name-brand companies.
However, you won’t find TurboTax or H&R Block among those options. TurboTax and H&R Block are no longer affiliated with the IRS Free File program.
People are also reading…
- Steven M. Sipple: With Athletic Department ‘on edge’ in July, Alberts’ hire critical, Cook says
- Two hospitalized after stabbing in Lincoln leads police to hanging man
- Steven M. Sipple: Critical period for Thompson; Alberts’ culture clues; and Fred’s vulnerability
- LPS school board names four finalists for superintendent
- Frost, Husker assistants conduct home visit with top remaining 2022 target
- Juvenile killed in rollover crash near Seward, sheriff’s office says
- Statute of limitations passed, attorneys tell the story of Pioneer Pete’s negotiated return in Lincoln
- Paperwork, finger-pointing and Twitter: How Gretna was stripped of the Class A football title
- 64-year-old woman dies after brake failure causes collision east of Lincoln
- As transfer portal frenzy nears lull, where do the Huskers still need ‘difference-makers?’
- Steven M. Sipple: If you’re Husker fan, you hope Applewhite grasps program’s rich RB history
- Lincoln man arrested after warrant turns up heroin, meth, police say
- Lincoln man killed in one-vehicle crash in Cass County
- Alberts on the radio: Many end zone bleacher seats to be widened at Memorial Stadium for 2022
- Gretna responds to NSAA ruling, claims Omaha Westside issued complaint
That said, both advertise free tax prep services on their websites, and there are a plethora of other tax software options for taxpayers who don’t want to pay to file a return. Here’s what you need to know.
Have you started filing your 2021 Taxes?
Select your state to begin the process of filing your taxes with TurboTax.
File Your 2021 Taxes Today!
How to file taxes …….